Monday, May 17, 2010

Motivation Monday

Motivation Monday is all about getting you motivated to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The articles link above is chalk full of wonderful ways to get your recommended amount of fruits and vegetables each day. The article contains a chart with the recommendation based on age. For my age I need 2.5 cups of vegetables and 2 cups of fruit per day.

I think I do pretty well when they defined one piece of fruit as 1 cup. I eat 1-2 bananas a day and sometimes an apple on top of that. Strawberries and grapes are a plenty at our house and are "eat what you want when you want" type of deal. It's great because the girls reach into the fridge, pull out the grapes they want and eat away. It makes an easy side to lunch/dinner/and a great snack.

In the veggie area I try to have at least 1/2 a cup with each dinner, cut up cucumber at lunch to eat, add green peppers to dinner or cut up zucchini. Last night I grilled up some zucchini and enjoyed about a cup of that. I eat celery with PB for snack and add lettuce to sandwiches or make a little salad to go with dinner or lunch.

Visit a Farmer's Market or your local produce store that you love and buy what you eat in a week so nothing goes bad. Cut it up, wash it, store it properly and you will find that getting your fruits and vegetables in everyday can be a breeze. It is definitely a way of life and takes some time to get in the habit of it.

An example of my routine: Every Wednesday is double ad day at Sprouts. It's a great day to go to get last weeks deals and the new deals. I can load up my cart with a head of lettus or two, cucumbers, zucchini, bananas, grapes, oranges, strawberries, and whatever else I think we will need for a full week for a family of 4. When I get home I immediately wash everything and store it properly so it lasts. Sometimes I freeze it in small portions to pull out when needed. (Strawberries for smoothies is a good example of this. I go to a different produce store when time permits and buy 3 lbs. of strawberries for $1. I freeze 2 lbs. and the family eats the other lb. in the next few days.) Celery is washed, cut, and stored in a container for easy snacks and chopping for dinners. Grapes are taken off the stems, washed, and stored in an open zip-lock bag. Lettuce/spinach is washed, spun/dried, and stored wrapped in paper towels in an open ziplock bag to keep it crisp.

GOAL: GET IN YOUR RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES EACH DAY. NOTICE HOW GREAT YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF WHEN YOU DO THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FITting it in will share amazing tips on how you can incorporate exercise and nutrition into your hectic and crazy life.
You're body won't know what hit it after you learn all the tricks of sneaking those exercises in during your day. In the car, at the store, through the house, walks around the block...
keep on reading, get hooked, and most importantly FIT it in!

Lucy Activewear Free Shipping on $125+ (yoga photo)