Thursday, March 4, 2010

Snacky, Snacky

What in the world do you do when you get that urge to snack or munch? Sometimes it is so hard to get your hand out of that pantry, isn't it? I know, I've done it, too. Those Nature Valley granola snacks are irresistible along with any kind of cracker.

Here are some things I do when I get the snackies:

1. Drink water. A lot of times you are actually just thirsty. Learn to listen to what your body really wants.
2. Chew on a piece of sugar-free gum. I'm a gum addict. When I got my braces on I thought it was over, but I still sneak it in. (Don't tell me dentist!) That usually takes away the snackie urge.
3. Whatever you do, don't go to the pantry! If you must have a snack the best things are found in the refridgerator. Apples, carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini-go for those goods. If you go in the pantry, you know what happens-you can't stop!
4. Find something to do: it doesn't matter what it is. Just something to take your mind of off snacking. Usually sitting at the computer or in front of the television doesn't take away that snacking feeling. I would suggest going outside. Go for a walk, take the kids to the park, jump rope, color with chalk with the kids. Reading, knitting/crocheting, a craft project, writing, crossword puzzles are also good distractions. Immerse yourself in something so much that it takes your mind off of your stomach.

Here are some of my favorite snacks for mid-afternoon:
1. Yogurt with granola-yumo and probably my favorite.
2. Celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins. aka ants on a log. I am hooked on this right now.
TIME SAVING TIP: as you are unloading your groceries from your shopping trip, wash the celery and immediately cut it into sticks. Store in an airtight container in the refridgerator.
3. Banana with peanut butter and sometimes I add granola. A banana with PB is pretty filling by itself so you may want to hold on the granola depending on your hunger level.
4. Grapes. I love green grapes, the others are good too, but nothing compares to a crisp green grape!TIME SAVING TIP: as you are unloading your groceries get out your collander and rip off all the grapes from the stem, wash thoroughly under cold water. Store in an UN-zipped plastic baggy in the refridgerator. A zipped baggy will make the grapes go bad quickly. BOOM! Your grapes are always handfuls away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FITting it in will share amazing tips on how you can incorporate exercise and nutrition into your hectic and crazy life.
You're body won't know what hit it after you learn all the tricks of sneaking those exercises in during your day. In the car, at the store, through the house, walks around the block...
keep on reading, get hooked, and most importantly FIT it in!

Lucy Activewear Free Shipping on $125+ (yoga photo)