Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Maintain Your Weight

On the way home from Newport I pulled out a book to read. It's called Nutrition for Sports and Exercise. When I had my husband pick it up for me, I didn't realize it was a textbook. I know at some point in my education I have read this book. In the car I found myself totally loving reading it all over again. Yes, you did read that right. I am enjoying reading a textbook, but I'm not all that weird. There's some really great things in there and has given me some great ideas to post about...like this one!

Have you ever wondered how many calories are right for you? Sure, the nutrition label says based on a 2,000 calorie diet, but is that really what your body needs?

There is a formula that will help you to determine what is the right amount for you.

EER=135.3 - (30.8 x AGE in yrs) + PA[(10.0 x weight in kg) + (934 x Height in m)] + 25
______________________________________________________________________
PA = sedentary 1.0, active 1.31, very active 1.56
sedentary: not active
active: about one hour of moderate activity a day
very active: about 2 hours of vigorous exercise a day
______________________________________________________________________
Formula to convert lbs to kg: lbs x 2.2 = kg
     Example: 120 x 2.2 = 54.5
Formula to convert feet to meters: feet x 0.3048 = m
     Example: 5.5 feet x 0.3048 = 1.68m
______________________________________________________________________
Isn't this good exercise for your brain?
Here is an example for the whole equation for a 30 year old who weighs 120 lbs and is active:
135.3 - (30.8 x 30) + 1.31[(10.0 x 54.5) + (934 x 1.68)] + 25 = 2006 calories to maintain weight
______________________________________________________________________
This will help you in your healthy weight goals and give you a better idea about how much to eat in a day. After completing the formula you want to determine if you are trying to maintain your weight, lose weight (eat less calories), or gain weight (eat more calories). Exercising your brain is important, too. After that equation, my brain needs a rest!

Now, go do something fun today! Rollerblade with your kids, bike to the grocery store or the dollar store. Keep doing 3 sets of 15 push-ups a day and 3 sets of 10 crunches- or other ab exercise. Have you noticed a difference, yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

FITting it in will share amazing tips on how you can incorporate exercise and nutrition into your hectic and crazy life.
You're body won't know what hit it after you learn all the tricks of sneaking those exercises in during your day. In the car, at the store, through the house, walks around the block...
keep on reading, get hooked, and most importantly FIT it in!

Lucy Activewear Free Shipping on $125+ (yoga photo)