Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ingredient Substitutions

If you are anything like me, I am always trying to find a healthier way to bake or cook. If it's not healthy, I don't buy it. That means no store-bought cookies, donuts, chips, some crackers (gotta have goldfish for my kiddos!), or juices with high fructose corn syrup in them. It's has made shopping great with kids, they may not even know you can buy cookies from a grocery store, so there is no asking! Instead they ask for apples, bananas, strawberries, and other items found in the produce section.

When a recipe calls for shortening I have found that replacing it with honey or all natural applesauce is just as effective.

Replacing all white flour with 100% whole wheat flour using 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat is a great way to add in those nutrients without drastically changing the taste.

This replacement will probably not work for all recipes, but I have substituted non-fat sour cream for mayonaisse. It was a recipe for a pasta salad and I thought it tasted great.

Everything I buy is low-fat or non-fat. I'm no cook so I can't really taste the difference anyway. However, when I eat out at restaurants I can taste when shortening, too much butter, or salt has been used. The worst is the corn syrup taste in my mouth, YUCK! After you've eaten this way for so long, your body really does recognize the difference in taste and the effects it has on it.

One last replacement I have made is switching to whole grain pasta. My husband says he can tell the difference, but he eats it anyway. The rule in our house is I make it, you eat it, or you don't eat at all. It's a good way to introduce new foods into your family and even if they say they don't like them, they might end up liking them at some point!

Happy replacing!

Goal: Try to get rid of or donate all those items in your house you know are not good for you. Then start shopping for those items that will make even a little difference in your diet.

On the Mayo Clinic website they have a good list of substitutions. Click here to be taken there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FITting it in will share amazing tips on how you can incorporate exercise and nutrition into your hectic and crazy life.
You're body won't know what hit it after you learn all the tricks of sneaking those exercises in during your day. In the car, at the store, through the house, walks around the block...
keep on reading, get hooked, and most importantly FIT it in!

Lucy Activewear Free Shipping on $125+ (yoga photo)